de | en
Information for Residents
Virtual Campus Graz
1. Individual User Lock in VCG
1.1 By ZID of TU Graz
If one takes actions that contradict the user regulations of VCG, then
the access to the Internet can be withdrawn.
Reasons for blocking are for example:
- Offering copyrighted data (movies, music, software) - then the reason
for blocking is stated e.g. "Copyright infringement: Star Trek (eDonkey)".
- The (unintentional) distribution of malicious code - then something
like "Worm infestation (Blaster)", "Virus (I Love You)" is stated in the
- Portscans (of course, these can also be caused by worms or P2P
software, for example).
For the first incident you will be locked until you confirm that the problem
is fixed, for all further violations at least 2n weeks, where n
stands for the locks already done in the last 18 months.
(So second suspension 2 weeks, then 4, 8, 16, ... weeks).
The unlock is not done automatically, the locked person must contact us
after the locking period has expired and after the problem has been solved
(each mail before the locking period expires extends the locking period by
- Disconnect your computer from the network.
- Check if your operating system is up to date - if you are using
Windows, this can be done (semi-)automatically by the Windows Update
- Check if your antivirus software is up to date.
- Check if your firewall is active and configured correctly.
If you are not familiar with it, let (an acquaintance/company) do it.
- Use appropriate software to remove the malware or uninstall the P2P
software (eDonkey, Bittorrent, KaZaA, …).
- Wait for the blocking period and then report to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For some steps, you will need a 2nd computer (with full access)
to either check the Internet to see what is the current status, or to
download appropriate software!
When these steps are done (and the lock period has expired), report this to
This mail should contain at least the following info:
- the full name
- the account (but not the password!)
- the reason why the block should be lifted - e.g.:
- Virus has been removed and all relevant patches have been applied
(rebooting the system alone is usually not enough!)
- firewall and virus scanner have been installed or activated
- File sharing program has been deleted
Locks of ZID of TU Graz can not be removed by the dorm admin, but your
contact person for questions is still the dorm admin!
It is useless to ask the dorm admin or ZID of TU Graz for unlocking
before the expiration of the locking period, this will only result in
being annoyed with you. |
Contact the dorm admin only if you can't find out how to get rid of the
locking reason (in some dormitories there is a charge for this!).
1.2 By the Dorm Admin
The dorm admin can also impose suspensions if he finds out that a resident
violates the dorm-internal guidelines - how long such suspensions last and
what the reason for it can be is to be clarified internally and is not a
matter of ZID of Graz University of Technology!
There is no right to free internet access via VCG!
2. Exceeding the Transfer Limit
In 2005 a monthly transfer limit was introduced. If this limit is exceeded,
the transfer is automatically blocked until the end of the respective month.
Since 2009, the dorms can stagger the transfer
limit up to a maximum value.